Oak Valley Wines
Our wines are produced within the highly acclaimed cool climate Elgin Ward, which has attracted the attention and investment
of a number of leading South African winemakers.
The Oak Valley range of wines includes Sauvignon Blanc, a Chardonnay, a Sauvignon/Semillon blend, a Pinot Noir
and a Bordeaux styled blend, known as The Oak Valley Blend. All of our wines have achieved a multitude of local and international awards, in the relatively short space of time since 2003, including the following:
- Oak Valley Sauvignon Blanc 2003 (Maiden Vintage) - best in its class at the Juliet Cullinan Wine show.
- Oak Valley Sauvignon Blanc 2005 - Gold and the Regional Trophy at the 2006 Decanter World Wine Awards.
- Oak Valley Mountain Reserve Sauvignon Blanc 2005 - nominated for 5 Platter stars and listed in the international publication "1001 Wines You Must Try Before You Die" (Neil Beckett)
- The Oak Valley Blend 2004 - Gold, Regional and International Trophy at the 2007 Decanter World Wine Awards. Voted best SA Bordeaux Blend by Wine Magazine (4 ½ stars).
- The Oak Valley Blend 2005 - Joint Best Bordeaux Blend by Wine Magazine (4 stars).
- Oak Valley Chardonnay 2006 - the only SA Chardonnay to win Gold at the 2008 International Wine Challenge in London. Jancis Robinson Top 10 SA White Wines.
- Oak Valley Chardonnay 2009 - Trophy for the Best SA White at the 2010 International Wine Challenge.
- Oak Valley Pinot Noir 2008 - Gold and the Regional Trophy at the 2010 Decanter World Wine Awards. Gold at the 2009 Mondial du Pinot Noir in Switzerland. SA Winemakers Choice Diamond Award; Gold - Santam Classic Wine Trophy.
- Oak Valley wines have constantly been rated 4 stars or better in the benchmark John Platters South African Wine Guide, with four 5 star nominations to date.
The flavours of the wines are characterised by minerally undertones complimented by fresh acidity, giving an elegance that has its origins in the cool terroir of the valley.
Currently the breakdown of vineyards on Oak Valley is as follows:
Cellar space has been rented at Paul Cluver Wines from the 2003 - 2012 vintages.
Our wines are made by Pieter Visser, the Oak Valley Winemaker/Viticulturist,
who is a graduate of the Elsenburg Agricultural College and has been working on
the farm since 1993. Ultimately an own cellar is planned for Oak Valley and environmental approvals are being sought at this time.
Kevin Watt, the well known viticulturist, is the Oak Valley viticultural consultant.
The wine tasting room on the Estate is set in lush surroundings adjoining an oak forest and is open Monday to Friday 09h00 to 17h00 and on Saturday and Sundays from 10h00 to 14h00. Tastings are R20 per person, the fee is waived upon the purchase of wine.